Maine Coon Weight by Month
Maine-coons are truly amazing creatures that are able to make an indelible impression on a person who sees them for the first time. These luxury cats are very large, especially compared to most other breeds. Their faces look more serious and even a bit harsh, but this does not mean that the Maine Coons are cruel and aggressive animals. Today we will take a closer look at these unusual pets and find out how their weight varies depending on age.
Luxurious representatives of the famous breed Maine Coon are amazing creatures. Due to the unusual external data of these pets it is difficult to confuse or not find out. The main distinguishing feature of the Maine Coon is their large size and impressive weight. According to experts, Some adults can reach a weight of a couple of tens of kilograms. The standard parameters for females are usually 5-8.5 kg, and males - 8-12 kg. These figures are unusual for most cats.
Since adults are heavy, kittens are usually born larger. They are developing rather than their fellow breeds.
The growth of small Maine Coons surprises with its speed.
Distinguish Maine Coons from other subspecies and other interesting features. For example, special attention is attracted by fluffy frill collars, formed from high-quality and thick wool. Such details make the appearance of this unusual cat even more solid and rich. The tail of the Maine Coon grows no less elegant and fluffy.
From the outside, these pets look like smaller copies of lions or other wild cats, which attract a lot of attention.
Many people, having first encountered such a breed, cannot believe that little kittens will soon grow into real fluffy giants. If you keep such a smart pet at home, then you should know how its weight changes as it grows up.
To do this, you need to keep track of how many months the mustache has turned.
Before proceeding directly to the consideration of all the weight norms of the Maine Coon, It is necessary to get acquainted with the list of the main factors influencing the growth of these amazing animals.
- Floor. This is one of the most important factors affecting the development of pedigreed kittens. Kitten boys will always be more impressive in size than girls.
- Genes. Genetics play a significant role in the growth of kittens. Large individuals and kittens will be born large. As a rule, they grow larger and heavier, along with their closest relatives.
- The physical state just born kitten. Babies who were born weak will grow less rapidly and are unlikely to grow very large.
- The large number of litter. Kittens that come from a small litter are born more large and strong. If the litter is numerous, then the kids are unlikely to be large.
- Conditions that contain the mother cat in the period of carrying and feeding offspring. If the cat eats all the days of gestation and feeding with balanced feed and products, is kept in optimal and comfortable conditions for it, then it will definitely bring healthy and high-quality offspring. Such kids will grow as it should.
- Stressful situations. If in a house where cats are kept, a rather restless situation is constantly observed, if the owners often shout and swear, make noisy repairs, then the changed usual rhythm of life of the Maine Coon can lead to severe stress. As a result, a purebred kitten can grow much more slowly than in calm conditions.
- Past illnesses. Kittens that have suffered various kinds of diseases grow at times worse than their healthy counterparts who did not suffer from anything. In some cases, growth does not just slow down, but stops at all.
- Feeding. In order for a pet to grow well in accordance with its age, it is necessary to provide it with proper, balanced and nutritious nutrition. No need to buy a cheap kitten economy class feed or give food from the human table.
Make for a thoroughbred baby a good menu, which will contain only high-quality products or premium premium ready-made premium foods.
Only if we bear in mind all the factors listed above that influence the growth of a Maine Coon kitten, can we expect normal development from it in accordance with all existing standards. If there are any shortcomings, for example, problems with the health of the baby, they must be resolved quickly by contacting the veterinarian.
Since the adult Maine Coon has impressive size and weight, then the kittens of this breed are born large. Cubs of other breeds cannot boast of such indicators. A newborn Maine Coon kitten may weigh 80 g, but this is the minimum value. On average, the young, which are representatives of this famous breed, weigh from 100 to 180 g. In most cases, male kittens have a larger weight than the young-girl.
Kitten development by months
If you have brought a handsome little Maine Coon at home, then you should watch how it grows. Paying attention to such age-related changes of the animal, you will know exactly whether it develops correctly, whether it has any health problems.
Be attentive to the kitten in order to identify any troubles in time and eliminate them as soon as possible.
The babies of this breed already in the first month have more weight than most of their brothers. Up to a year, these animals are developing at a rapid pace. Two-month-old Maine Coon babies in most cases reach a mark in excess of weight over 1 kg. As for the three-month individuals - in their dimensions, they often outpace adults of other breeds. Maine Coon, who has reached 4 months, can weigh 3.5 kg. It should be borne in mind that such data are not extreme. Some animals grow even faster and weigh more.
The weight of a Maine Coon, whose age “reached” up to 5 months, may be more than 4 kg. During this period, the growth of the animal of this breed is very fast. At 6 months, the weight of these big cats is 5.3 kg. (if we are talking about a boy). Upon reaching 7 months, the Maine Coon "get" to the mass of a full-fledged adult of most breeds.
With the occurrence of 8 months, these animals become even heavier and reach 5.5 kg.
As soon as the cat was 9 months old, its weight reaches the mark of 7 kg. When the former cute kitten turns 10 months old, he reincarnates into a real fluffy giant. In 1 year the weight of this unusual pet can reach 8.5-9.5 kg. For this period, first of all, there is a sharp jump in the mass of the pet.
We must not forget that the weight of the animal in the course of its growth will depend on a large number of different facts and conditions of detention. If suddenly you notice that your pet does not fall into the stated norms, then you should not worry.
However, you should remain vigilant - do not treat the growth of the Maine Coon too carelessly and disregard, because this is one of the indicators of the health of the animal.
You can trace how your giant pet develops, starting from indicators listed in the special Maine Coon growth table for up to a year.
Maine Coon Age
Weight Maine Coon (cat)
Weight Maine Coon (cat)
90 - 150 grams
90 - 170 grams
160 to 260 grams
190 - 290 grams
410 - 550 grams
430 - 600 grams
550 - 740 grams
620 - 820 grams
1 - 1.4 kg
1.1 - 1.6 kg
1.5 - 2.3 kg
1.7 - 2.4 kg
2.5 - 3.5 kg
2.9 - 3.8 kg
2.7 - 4.2 kg
3.3 - 5.5 kg
3.1 - 4.3 kg
3.4 - 6 kg
3.3 - 4.6 kg
4.1 - 6.5 kg
3.7 - 5 kg
4.4 - 6.9 kg
4.1 - 5.2 kg
5 - 7 kg
4 - 5.5 kg
5.1 - 7.8 kg
4.3 - 6 kg
5.5 - 8 kg
4.5 - 6.5 kg
5.8 - 9 kg
A lot of adult cats
It is possible to find out the exact and final weight of the Maine Coon only at the moment when it will be 3 years old. Until that time, your home furry giant will grow.
Mature Maine Coon females, who have already turned 3 years old, in weight can reach about 4.5 or 7.5 kg, and males - 8-10 kg. These indicators are average. Of course, your pet may grow with other indicators of weight. The length of these original pets is usually 120 cm, so it’s hard to believe that their weight can be only 4.5 or 8 kg. If the owner is closely watching the growth rate of his animal and the amount of food consumed by him, the cat can reach 15 kg in weight.
True, not always such values are the norm. Often overweight maine coons are associated with obesity.
Record weight of an adult individual is 20 kg or more. By the way, this figure is listed in the Guinness Book of Records. If the pet has reached a similar weight due to its impressive fat mass, then it cannot be called healthy. The cat should not be overfed. Obesity entails a lot of unpleasant consequences for a cat of absolutely any breed.
To monitor the parameters of adults, you should rely on a table with the values of height and mass of Maine Coon from 1 year.
4.5 - 6.5 kg
5.8 - 9 kg
4.5 - 6.8 kg
6 - 9.2 kg
4.5 - 7 kg
6 - 9.5 kg
4.5 - 7 kg
6 - 9.8 kg
4.5 - 7.3 kg
8 - 10 kg
36 months (3 years)
4.5 - 7.5 kg
8 - 10 kg
Above 3 years old
Up to 8 kg
Up to 12 kg
Up to 10 kg
Up to 13 kg
As you can see, usually the growth of a Maine Coon slows down considerably and practically stops when it turns a year. Horse racing can occur until the pet reaches the age of 3 years. Throughout the life of these animals, changes in weight and size occur periodically. If you notice that your pet has become too fast and get better, or rapidly lose weight, it is better to visit with him the veterinarian.
Why the cat does not grow or lose weight?
It so happens that even a small Maine Coon is growing poorly. If the baby is almost not gaining mass, then this is a bad sign. It is considered that the main factors that negatively affect the growth of kittens of this breed are the following factors.
- Poor food mom cats. Nursing Maine Coon females must be fed at least 3 times a day. It is necessary to give them special high-quality feed for lactating individuals.
- If the kitten is too small, it may simply not suck the mother's milk.. Another reason may be that the cat has too little milk. So that the baby can get enough, some owners resort to additional feeding with a special substitute for cat milk.
- The cause may be mother's milk containing toxins. This product can have a bad effect if the female is ill with mastitis, metritis or uterine abscess. The kitten should not drink the same kind of milk that a cat gives, using various medications and antibiotics.
- Anemia and lack of vitamins in the body - Another common reason that prevents Maine Coon kittens from growing normally. If breast milk lacks all the necessary substances, the baby may be weak and small in size.
- The cause of poor growth and development of a kitten can be worms.. These dangerous parasites in many situations move from mother to offspring through milk. Of course, the worms will not give the kitten any chance for normal growth. In such situations, you must act as soon as possible and contact your veterinarian.
- Maine Coon babies can grow poorly due to a certain genetic abnormality.. It happens that among several kittens one weighs less than all and looks very weak from the outside.Similar problems arise in humans when one of the twins looks completely healthy, and the second is barely alive.
- Some diseases can be the main reason why a kitten cannot grow normally. Most often - these are diseases that are transmitted to the baby from the mother. Some diseases develop independently, without participation of the female. If the kitten clearly feels unwell (it vomits, the chair is broken and the temperature has risen), then you should rather go to the vet or call the doctor at home. To pull time in such situations is very dangerous.
- If a purebred Maine-Coon breed produced kittens from a non-purebred male, then the kitten may face growth problems. Of course, such problems are very rare, but they must be taken into account.
There are cases when Maine-Coon begins to lose weight. Such changes suggest that there is a serious problem that needs to be addressed as soon as possible. The most common cause of weight loss are the following factors:
- the presence of parasites in the cat or cat (parasites can be both external and internal) is one of the most common causes of weight loss;
- extra stress and nervous shocks;
- improperly formulated and unbalanced diet, which lacks all the necessary vitamins and supplements;
- hormonal disbalance;
- a sharp change in the usual diet (any changes in the diet should be carried out gradually so as not to harm the health of the animal);
- problems with the state of the gastrointestinal tract;
- oncological diseases.
Often, the weight loss of the Maine Coon is accompanied by other disturbing symptoms. For example, it can be constipation, alternating with diarrhea (standard signs in case of infection with animal worms).
If the pet is experiencing serious stress, then it will not only lose weight, but also behave too restlessly, atypically for his usual mood.
Useful tips and tricks
If you brought a small Maine Coon and follow its proper development, then you should listen to some useful tips.
- Do not give Maine Coon kittens biological supplements or medicinal feed, without consulting with a veterinarian before. Any drugs and means to increase body weight, taken without the testimony of a specialist, can seriously harm these animals.
- If you feed Maine Coon with special ready-made feed, you must give it in such quantities and sizes as stated by the manufacturer.
- Do not overfeed Maine Coon, so he grew up faster. Such actions, of course, will lead to weight gain, but it will be unhealthy changes. An animal can suffer from obesity, and this is a serious problem for its health.
- The maximum weight of an adult Maine Coon is desirable to keep within 11-13 kg, not more.
- Choose for your pets only high-quality food with lots of vitamins and other nutrients. Without good nutrition, the Maine Coon will not grow as it should.
About how much the Maine Coon weighs, see the following video.